A Little about me
By Clark McClain
My name is Clark McClain, and I was recently brought on as the new youth director for Wesley Church! I graduated from FSU with a B.S. in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, with a minor in Religion. I am currently working on my Masters of Divinity at Asbury Theological Seminary with a concentration in Intercultural Studies. I have been coming to Wesley the last three summers when I would be home from FSU. I have interned with the youth group here and helped as an adult leader twice for their summer trips to Radius Camp.
When I had heard that Sarah was moving to fulltime as the director of children and families and that Wesley Church had decided to search for a new youth director I felt called to apply for the position. I have had the honor and pleasure of serving this church and these youth for the last few summers, and now I have the immense joy of getting to serve them every day of the year! I am incredibly blessed by this opportunity. I always love to say that ‘You can never have too many friends!’ and I hope this attitude can be carried over into the youth group so that they are confident to step out in faith and make new friends in their schools!
In an effort to help you get to know a little about myself, I went online and found some questions, 21 to be exact, that I answered about myself so you can get to know me a little bit!
1. What is your name? Clark
2. How old are you? 23
3. What is your earliest memory? Going to get a coke with my grandpa every day when I was young at Waffle House.
4. What is your favorite drink? I am really into all kinds of exotic teas right now!
5. What is your favorite vegetable? I really like spinach.
6. How tall are you? 5’11”
7. Can you swim? Yes
8. Who is your favorite movie actress? Hayden Panettiere
9. Who is your favorite movie actor? Will Smith
10. Who is your favorite historical figure (been dead for at least 100 years)? Can I say Christ? If not then… Bartolomé de las Casas
11. Who is your favorite super-heroine? Madam Web
12. Who is your favorite super-hero? Spider Man!
13. What are your nicknames? Cheese or Queso, it’s a long story…
14. What books on your shelf are begging to be read? There are probably about three books I’ve really been meaning to read, one is about the development of the indigenous diet in Central America from the 15th century to modern day, and what that means for the development of their culture “Que Vivan los Tamales!: Food and the Making of Mexican Identity”. Second is “Serving with Eyes Wide Open” which is about short term missions and how to interact cross-culturally with our service as Christians. And Thirdly is “The Crowd the Critic and the Muse”, which is written by my favorite Christian guitar player Michael Gungor, and is all about the soul of creativity.
15. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child? I used to think that only girls could get mono, so if I shared a drink with another guy friend then it was fine because only girls could give mono. Not sure why I believed this!
16. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? Well this summer I started training for a half marathon, this past Saturday I ran 8 miles without stopping. So this running program has really pushed me!
17. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? I know a lot of people, I noticed in High School that when there would be different little cliques of friends I would always just float between all the groups rather than always sticking to one.
18. Where’s your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? I’m not sure yet, I am new here myself!
19. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why? Anything with my car, ha!
20. Do you have a catchphrase? “You can never have too many friends!”
21. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Why? Pittsburgh has the prettiest skyline and is just one incredible city, with things to do all the time! Other than Pittsburgh it’d probably be Panajachel Guatemala for city or Chontala for town in Guatemala because of the people I know there that I love so much!
If you have any more questions feel free to email me any time!